Saturday, November 19, 2011

Interview with Last Chance vendor Sara Gilmore of Phdstressrelief


In case you are wondering who the face is behind the cute, felted animals on the Charm City Craftivists Facebook page then let us introduce Last Chance vendor Sara Gilmore of Phdstressrelief.  Sara agreed to take a break from her busy crafting and academic schedule to talk about her life as a nerd and as a crafter.


CCC: Your Etsy shop's name is PhDstressrelief.  Are you a braniac?


SG: I like to consider myself more of a nerd. Mainly I enjoy learning and am good at science but I don't really know what I want to be when I grow up! Not to be sappy but everyone is smart and good at something, it's just a matter of figuring out what on earth it is.

CCC: How exactly did you get involved with small felted animals?

SG:  I stumbled upon needle felting after I had lost a pair of earrings made with felt. I was trying to look up how to make a pair and needle felting/dry felting kept coming up. I have to admit that I was pretty confused how one would take loose wool and poke it to death until it becomes an animal, or a bead, or whatever. It really doesn't make much sense! The animals came about because I love all things cute and soft so this seemed like an appealing medium for me.

Phdstressrelief
CCC:  What are some of your goals for your craft business?

SG: It would be awesome if I was successful enough to spend more time creating and selling my items around town. I would love to own my own business sometime and if this were to flourish into that I would be thrilled!

CCC:  Do you recycle?

SG:  Yes but did you know you can't recycle pizza boxes? Took me a long time to figure that out...

CCC: Even empty toilet paper tubes?

SG:  Yes! I use every last square!

CCC:  I see you also make origami paper boxes.  Does Hopkins still offer an "Origami 101" class like the one you took in the past?

SG:   I think it's been replaced with Puppetry ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment